Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bow ties - A Southern Tradition

I love bow ties! Recently I made two kinds of bow ties. One traditional for my son to wear and one in the form of a quilt.  Today we celebrated Easter. When I was assembling his Easter outfit I knew we were missing something. He needed a bow tie to complete the outfit.  I looked high and low for one. I wanted a green one with blue and white polka dots on the reverse side.  When I didn't find one, I decided to make one. It turned out to be easy to make and it looked so cute on my little man. I might make one for every occasion now. Maybe it was the model that made it or maybe it was the tie that made the model.

My second bow tie was in the form of a quilt. As we wind down the school year, I have begun to make preparations for teacher appreciation gifts. My little man has two very special teachers. One of which is retiring this year after many, many years of teaching. As a gift from us I decided to make bow tie pattern with Avalon - Fig Tree and Co. It turned out to be beautiful!

I love the traditional patterns and the soft colors in the quilt. I used a cream colored linen as a background and added soft prints for a border. I love the way the quilt looks so soft and warm. It came together really easy. I used a layer cake and used all of it.  There were but inches of scraps left.

Graduation is May 16 and there may be two bow ties on display that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment