Monday, May 21, 2012

Betsy Ross and the Dog Days of Summer

After a long lapse from from Sewing Sassy with Lyd, it has occurred to me that life has taken its toll on my blogs and most of all my quilting. Oh, how I have missed my machine, what is life without the humming of the machine. But, recently I completed a fun summer quilt just perfect for summer outings with the family.

The patriotic quilt has inspired us to plan outdoor activities all summer long. As I finished the quilt, my son begged me to have a picnic on the living room floor that night. He wanted to know when we would take it outside to dine on it. He was enamored by the stars and loved the stripes that made up this quilt.

The inspiration came from a book that my great uncle gave me when my aunt passed away. She was an avid quilter and had a real passion for the time-honored skill. But, as I browsed these books which dated back to somewhere in the mid 1970's I found it hard to believe that they would ever offer much inspiration. However, after a second and third glance, nestled deep in the pages, I found a pattern just begging for an update.

So, 20 fat quarters, 1 yard of white and 1 1/2 yards of sashing later, we had this patriotic beauty. Then I coupled the quilt with 4 yards of backing and folks, we are ready for some all-American summer fun.

As I neared completion, and hand quilted the stars I think I may have channeled a little Betsy Ross in there as well. I carefully stitched each star with Pearle 8 red and precise care. There was some serious Americana going on there.


 So, now we are ready for summer! Bring it on! Bring on the dog days of summer -  you will find us at Concerts in the Garden, gazing at the fireworks on the Fourth of July, spending the day at the pool, catching up with friends at the lake or lounging at the beach. Summer is here and we are ready to celebrate the season and all things American.

No comments:

Post a Comment